One Month Before Moving
* Obtain an IRS Change of Address form, call 1-800-829-1040.
* Gather moving supplies, boxes, tape, rope.
* If moving far away, make any necessary travel arrangements like airline, hotel, and rental car reservations, or plan your travel route if driving.
* Call a moving company or make truck rental reservations to move yourself.
* Finalize real estate and apartment rental needs.
* Place legal, medical, and insurance records in a safe and accessible place.
* Give your mailers your new address (using Address Change Notification Cards):
Friends and family members
· Banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions
· Charge card and credit card companies
· Doctors, dentists, and other service providers
· State and Federal Tax authorities and any other government agencies as needed.
* Save moving receipts (many moving expenses are tax deductible).
* Make maps of your new neighborhood to familiarize yourself and your family with your new area.
* Plan your moving budget
Two Weeks Before Moving
* Inform gas, electric, water, cable, local telephone and trash removal services of your move. Sign up for services at your new address.
* Get new cable service for your new home.
* Inform long distance phone company of your move. Sign up for long distance service at your new address.
* Recruit moving-day help.
* Confirm travel reservation.
* Arrange to close or transfer your bank account, if appropriate.
The Day Before Moving
* Set aside moving materials like a tape measure, pocket knife, packing boxes, tape and markers.
* Pick up rental truck.
* Check oil and gas in your car.
* If traveling, make sure you have tickets, charge cards, and other essentials.
* Keep the following supplies and accessories on hand:
Boxes, all sizes
Bubble wrap or other cushioning material
Furniture pads or old blankets
Packing tape and scissors
Money and credit cards
* Label each box with the room in the new home to which it should be delivered.
* Number the boxes and keep a list of what is in each box.
* Clearly mark fragile items.
* Pack a bag of personal items you'll need during the move (change of clothes, toiletries, medicine, maps, food, and drinks). Keep it in an easy-to-find place when you pack.
* Keep a medical kit accessible.
* If you have children, pack a bag of games and activities for the trip.